All Good Things Come to Those who Wait

All Good Things Come to Those who Wait
Lost Girl

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Sweet Sadness

~Amelie Pascual~

She stood in the bathroom staring into the mirror. Her hair was just too flat. Were there more lines on her face than yesterday?
A hand smoothed her hair then stilled as one tear slid down her cheek.
Her gaze flicked to the doors to the stalls behind her but she knew she was alone.
Alone in some public bathroom crying over a loss she cannot bear to think about for too long.
A thought touches her worn mind and with a small smile she begins to fish around in her purse.

"There you are." she says softly and with a flourish, begins to write on the mirror with black eyeliner.

I am not depressed.
I can still smile at pretty things.
And laugh when jokes are funny.
I can still talk to people.
And enjoy nice days.
But when I go inside,
When I am alone,
There is something broken.
And I fall into a sadness so sweet that it engulfs me.
I look in the mirror.
And I don't like what I see.
And the tears always fall.
When I'm falling asleep and I miss something
That doesn't exist.
I am not depressed.
I've just been sad for awhile.
But I can still find the light.
I can still smile.

The eyeliner is tossed to the counter. She washes her hands and then touches up her makeup.

One last look at the black words on the mirror she was satisfied. Maybe someone will get some comfort that there is still a smile to be had in sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment